*see below for specifics
1) Eat all natural, organic, locally produced, humanely raised, and seasonal foods, whenever possible
2) Eat foods that are more a product of nature than of industry
3) Eat only 100% whole grains
4) Use only natural sweeteners
5) Drink only all natural beverages
1) We’ll still eat meat, fish, and dairy, lots of fruits, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts; along with healthy baked goods (see below)
2) No fast food (unless we make it ourselves — results of the Great French Fry Experiment coming soon!). And anything that comes from a box, bag, or jar should have 5 or so ingredients and each ingredients is something we might have in our pantry, or as I like to think of it, something that the 5 year old could identify.
3) No white flour, corn flour, enriched wheat flour, etc. — look for “whole grain” in the ingredient list or make it ourselves using whole grains (e.g. pancakes, brownies, pizza crust, and bread).
4) No white sugar (or brown, or powdered, etc) — use natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar
5) No sodas. Only 100% fruit juices, milk, coffee, tea and water — all of which can be flavored or sweetened with anything natural. And wine and beer are OK for the grownups. I have not lost all sense of reason!